The seasonal fresh vegetables of the summer months can’t help but inspire me to mix colours together. The combination of red cabbage, bright orange carrots, and red and white radishes; with the greens of peas, lettuce leaves and watercress all tossed together is not only nutritious and full of crunchy texture but oh so colourful and pleasing on the eyes!
Serves: 2 (or 4 as a side/starter)
Prep time: approx. 15 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 11 minutes, to hard boil eggs
Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegan Option
150g (5 1/2 oz) red cabbage, finely sliced
2 medium carrots, grated
1 baby gem lettuce, roughly chopped
60g (2 oz.) watercress, woody stalks removed, roughly chopped
2 free-range eggs, hard boiled
100g (4 oz.) frozen or fresh peas
1 spring onion, finely chopped
4 radishes, washed and finely sliced
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon (1 tablespoon)
½ teaspoon runny honey
Pinch of sea salt
- Carefully place the eggs in a pan of boiling water and hard boil for 8 minutes, drain away water. Run eggs under cold water so they are cool enough to touch, then peel away the egg shell.
- Meanwhile cook the peas in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes so they are cooked but still al dente. Drain away water and set aside to cool.
- Place all the salad ingredients into a medium/large salad bowl, except the eggs (will serve these on the side).
- To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients well in a bowl or cup.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss together well so all the ingredients are coated.
- Serve the salad with halved hard boiled eggs on the side.