These are a colourful, succulent addition to any barbecue, but they work really well cooked under a hot grill/broiler too. They consist of a variety of vegetable chunks alternated on the skewers with chunks of firm tofu or halloumi, then smothered in a layer of my smoked barbecue sauce. When making these with tofu I favour the firm marinated dragon tofu, but also firm smoked tofu works well too.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Gluten free, Dairy free (option), Vegan (option)
2 medium courgettes
1 red pepper, woody stalk cut away and seeds washed out
1 yellow pepper, woody stalk cut away and seeds washed
2 medium red onions, peeled
12 cherry tomatoes, stalks taken off
200g marinated firm tofu or halloumi cheese
5 tablespoons smoked barbecue sauce
12 metal or wooden skewers
Preheat the barbecue or the grill to high
If using wooden skewers, soak them 20 minutes in water – so they will not burn when on the fire or under the grill.
- Slice the courgettes into discs approximately half an inch wide.
- Roughly chop all the vegetables and the tofu or halloumi into pieces 1 1/2 inches in size.
- Thread the vegetables onto the skewers in any order you wish, including one cherry tomato and two or three pieces of tofu or halloumi per skewer. Continue until you have used everything up.
- Now brush with a generous layer of the smoked barbecue sauce (see recipe on site) and when ready to cook, place the skewers on the barbecue or under the grill.
- Allow to cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked. This should take about 10 minutes, depending how hot your barbecue or grill is. Carefully remove from the heat and serve.