Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 17 minutes
Gluten Free, Vegan
Inspired by The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook by Salma Hage.
reduced salt vegetable stock, mixed with 450 ml (2 cup) of boiling water
180g (2 cups) of unroasted buckwheat
130g (1 cup) fava or broad beans
3-4 (1 handful) tablespoons of fresh coriander, finely chopped
6-8 cherry tomatoes, chopped small
1 small glove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons balsamic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the vegetable stock on a the hob and bring to a rolling boiling.
- Add the buckwheat and boil for 17 minutes
- Transfer to a mixing boil and cover with a dish cloth, to absorb the steam and allow to cool.
- Place the fava beans in the pan (rinse pan that the buckwheat was in, to save on washing up), of boiling water and cook for five minutes.
- Run the fava beans under cold water until cool to touch, then pop the beans out of their skins (this halts the cooking process).
- Roughly chop the fava beans and mix into the cooled buckwheat.
- Top with the cherry tomatoes, the garlic, the coriander (parsley works well too) and combine well.
- Mix up the dressing, place the salad to one side and dress the salad before serving.