My cooking style is very much inspired by my mother, so this month it’s L for Linda. She made the best salads I’ve ever had! I particularly love this recipe for Sicilian Bean and Potato Salad, published in her cook book Linda McCartney On Tour. If you try this recipe please Instagram a photo and tag us at #pforpeckish as we’d love to see them!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Gluten Free, Vegan
450g (1lb) new potatoes, unpeeled
450g (1lb) French beans, cut into 2.5 cm/1 inch length
225g (8oz) haricot or cannellini beans (cooked or tinned)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
50g (2oz) black olives, pitted and sliced
1-2 tablespoons capers
Parsley, freshly chopped to garnish
1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, fine or grainy
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice OR 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed (optional to taste)
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil, cook the potatoes until tender, approx. 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and cut in half.
- Steam the French beans either in a steamer or in a colander placed over the pan of potatoes, this should take 3-5 minutes.
- Whilst the beans and potatoes are cooking prepare the vinaigrette, by mixing the mustard with either the lemon or lime juice or vinegar together in a small bowl, then whisk in the olive oil gradually. Stir in the garlic if you are using it and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the potatoes, beans, onions, black olives and capers in a large boil.
- Pour sufficient vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.