These tacos are the perfect example of how vegetarian food can be fast, satisfying, healthy and full of flavour. The crisp warm taco shells are stuffed with sautéed mushrooms, flavoured with fresh thyme and smoked paprika to give a rich base. Then you slide in slices of lime covered avocado and top with sharp crumbled feta. A complete taste sensation!
Serves: 2 (makes 4 tacos)
Prep time: 20 minutes
4 corn taco shells
400g mushrooms, cleaned of any dirt and sliced
2 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of 1 fresh lime
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, remove any woody stalks
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 tablespoon tamari (for gluten free option) or soya or Worcestershire sauce
100g feta, crumbled or chopped smoked tofu for vegan option
1 avocado, ripe
sea salt, to taste
small handful of coriander, chopped to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. wrap the taco shells in baking / aluminium foil.
- Heat the olive oil into a medium sized frying pan, add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, paprika and tamari sauce (or soya or Worcestershire) and sauté for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and tender.
- Whilst you are cooking the mushrooms, peel and slice the avocado and squeeze over the juice of 1 lime. Sprinkle with a little sea salt to taste, put to one side.
- Put the tacos shells in the oven to cook for 2 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave them in to keep them warm until you are ready to assemble.
- Crumble the feta cheese and put to one side.
- Now to assemble; spoon the mushrooms evenly between the taco shells, slide in the avocado slices and then top with the crumbled feta and a sprinkle of corriander (optional). Ready to devour.