Large, flat mushrooms have a substantial, earthy bite to them. They are extra juicy when cooked in this simple marinade. Perfect on their own but you can also sandwich them in between a burger bun with some salad leaves and a little mayonnaise.
Prep time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours marinating time
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegan
6 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tamari or soya sauce
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, stalks removed, roughly chopped
1/2 lemon to squeeze over the mushrooms to serve
- Place the olive oil, tamari and fresh thyme in a bowl and mix well.
- Lay the mushrooms face up in a baking tray and spoon over the marinade, making sure the mushrooms are well covered, and leave for at least 2 hours in the fridge to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Preheat the BBQ or the grill to medium/high.
- Lift the mushrooms out of the marinade and place, gills side down, on the BBQ or under the grill.
- Cook for 5 minutes until they begin to colour and soften. Then carefully turn the mushrooms over and cook skin side down for a further 5 minutes so that they are cooked on both sides. I like to spoon some of the marinade into the mushrooms as they are now gills side up.
- Once cooked on both sides, remove from the heat.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade over the mushrooms and serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice on the top.