These burgers have a wonderful smoky flavour to them and are a good source of protein and iron. I prep these the day before as they need to freeze to keep their shape on the BBQ. Alternatively, they can be cooked in a frying pan in a little olive oil until browned on both sides.
Prep time: 30 minutes plus 30 minutes chilling time (or overnight freezing if cooking on barbecue)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegan (option)
400g/14oz tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions
1 red pepper, woody stalk cut off and seeds rinsed out
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
125g (1 cup) frozen peas
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons tamari (for gluten free option) or soya sauce
6 tablespoons buckwheat flour (for gluten free option) or plain flour
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 free-range egg, beaten, optional (this will help it hold better if cooking on BBQ)
extra olive oil to cook, if using frying pan
- Finely chop the red pepper and onion, and place in a medium-large frying pan with the olive oil. Saute on a medium heat for 8 minutes, to bring out the sweet flavours and cook through.
- Stir in the chopped garlic, frozen peas and kidney beans and saute for a further 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, tamari and the flour and either mash with a potato masher or briefly “pulse” the mixture in a food processor until well combined but not too smooth.
- Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture, and using clean hands, form into balls and then flatten into a burger shape. Continue until you have finished the mixture.
- Place grease proof paper between each burger and wrap a few burgers at a time in cling film and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to eat, take the burgers out of the freezer and place immediately on the BBQ or cook in a medium/large frying pan in a little olive oil.
- Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes or until golden, then turn over and cook for a further 3-5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve immediately, in a burger bun (I like Genius or Udi gluten free burger rolls) with salad, mayonnaise and a dollop of my smoky barbecue sauce.