Today is Shrove Tuesday AKA pancake day, the perfect excuse to eat pancakes for Breakfast and Dinner. Last night we got ourselves prepared, making the pancake mixes to keep overnight in the fridge, so tomorrow we can whip up perfect pancakes in a flash. More time for eating.
I am posting 3 different recipes to day.
1. Delicious light and fluffy breakfast pancakes. I actually have to thank my husband for this recipe, as he is gluten intolerant so he spent time perfecting the best recipe possible, so he wouldn’t miss out. This recipe makes such light and fluffy pancakes, my kids love them just as much as the more classic recipe.
2. The vegan, breakfast, blueberry pancake recipe that Grace, at team P for Peckish, tested out this weekend. Instead of egg, she used ground flax seeds to get the best consistency.
3. The thin, classic, crepe pancake recipe that my 8 year old was keen to make this evening. We plan to devour these for desert on pancake day with a sprinkle of sugar and squeeze of fresh lemon, but there are many many fillings to choose from – chocolate spread, jam, maple syrup, whipped cream and berries etc. The eight year old ended up wearing most of the ingredients.
Here’s wishing you a happy Pancake Day, if you try out any of the recipes please instagram a photo with the hashtag PforPeckish
Fluffy, Light Breakfast Pancakes
Makes: 10 to 12 (approx 7cm in diameter)
60g (2oz) gluten free flour (I use Doves Farm)
150ml (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) milk (of your choice, organic dairy, or unsweetened planted based milk e.g. almond or soya)
1 free range organic egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (check it is gluten free, as some are not)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (check gluten free)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or a small pinch
- Beat the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and egg together, then slowly stir in the milk.
- Heat a frying pan with a very thin layer of olive oil, or butter, when hot enough to make a drop of batter sizzle, spoon on the pancake mix. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
Vegan Breakfast Blueberry Pancakes
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
250ml (1 1/2 cup) oat milk (or any plant based milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
125g (1 cup) gluten free plain flour
1 teaspoon golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of sea salt
50g (1/2 cup) blueberries or raspberries – doesn’t need them!
vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the flaxseeds and water and leave to the side (similar to how we made the baked donuts!).
- Put the coconut oil into a pan over a low heat until melted.
- Measure out all the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre, place to the side/
- In a small bowl, mix the oat milk, vinegar, melted coconut and flaxseeds then combine well.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, then add a little oil to the pan and cook both sides until golden.
Serves approx. 8 people
not gluten free
250g (2 cups) flour ( I used spelt, but regular plain flour is fine)
4 organic free range
480ml milk of your choice (2 cups)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs, slowly add in the milk and stir to combine.
- Heat a little oil at a time and pour a little batter into the frying pan, tilting the pan so the batter spreads evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about two minutes, until the bottom in golden, flip and cook the other side evenly.
- Enjoy with your favourite topping combinations. Mine is a sprinkle of sugar with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. But kids love chocolate spread!