After a demanding week, I look forward to extra fuel to back up my energy levels and the best way to start is with a protein rich breakfast. I find I make this English Breakfast Frittata mostly at the weekends when I have a little extra time. I include the eggs, as the source of protein, mushrooms, which provide a selection of B-vitamins and tomatoes, for a vitamin C boost. I’ve made this with Linda McCartney’s sausages but it also works really well with my herby sausages recipe (previously posted on this blog).
Prep time: approx. 10 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 25 minutes
Gluten free option
2 ripe medium tomatoes, cut in half.
150g button mushrooms, washed of any dirt
4 large free range eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon vegetarian Worchestershire sauce or tamari sauce (for gluten free option)
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
2 cooked vegetarian sausages (optional), cooked through as per instructions
sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high
- Place the prepared tomatoes and mushrooms on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil, the Worchestershire or tamari and mixed herbs.
- Place under the grill, for 15 -20 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. Once the mushrooms and tomatoes are cooked through, take out and set aside but leave the grill on.
- Whilst the tomatoes and mushrooms are grilling, cook the veggie sausages as per instrutions
- Then scramble the four eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into a medium non stick frying pan, heat the pan up until hot* and gently pour in the scrabbled egg, tilting the pan so that the egg covers the whole base.
- Now carefully place the grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and cooked sausage onto the egg base.
- Put the pan back under the grill for 3-5 minutes, until the eggs are just firm.
- Slice up and serve.
* You can test to see if the pan is hot enough by dropping a tiny bit of egg on to the pan and seeing if it sizzles.