I came home from a week of travelling to find 3 very ripe bananas in my fruit bowl. To make a great banana bread you really do want very ripe bananas, to add the flavour impact. With this recipe I wanted to experiment – could I make it gluten free and dairy free and still get my kids to devour it? I am please to report the answer is yes, they loved it!! This banana bread is light and moist, and has an added hint of cinnamon. I didn’t get to take a photo of the loaf as a whole because it’s all been eaten, mission accomplished.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
Gluten Free option, Dairy Free
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
4 tablespoons maple syrup or runny honey
4 dates, pitted and mashed into a paste
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/gas mark 4.
- In a small saucepan, on a low heat melt the coconut oil, and then transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the date paste, vanilla extract, eggs and beat together well.
- Mix in the cinnamon, mashed bananas and then all of the remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then cover with baking foil to stop the top from burning and put back in the oven to cook for a further 15 minutes – 45 minutes in total.
- Test with a skewer pushed into the centre of the loaf, if it comes out clean the banana bread is ready. Tip it out of the loaf tin and allow to cool slightly before serving up.