Right now, this is my favourite salad. For me it has it all the sweet tones of cherry tomatoes and roasted red pepper, the creamy smoothness of the avocado and pine nuts and the strong peppery flavour of watercress. It’s also packed full of healthy oils, minerals and vitamins. Sometimes I serve this with the quartered boiled egg, placed around the outside of the salad for an extra protein kick.
Serves: 2 people
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 15 minutes (to roast red pepper)
Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegan option
2 free-range eggs (optional)
1 red pepper
2 tablespoons pine nuts
80g (1 cup) watercress, cut stalks away
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 1 ripe tomato, cut into small chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic or white wine vinegar
Pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Put the eggs in boiling water and boil for 8 minutes. Then plunge them into cold water to allow them to cool enough to crack and peel. Set aside whilst preparing the rest of the salad.
- Now to roast the red pepper; preheat the grill to medium-high, place the whole red pepper on a baking tray and place it under the grill. Allow the skin to blacken, then turn it until the skin is charred all over. Turn off the grill and take out the peppers. Allow to cool enough to handle, then carefully peel away the charred skin leaving the juicy red pepper flesh. Cut away and discard all the seeds and woody stem, then cut into thin strips.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small dry frying pan for a couple of minutes, until they turn golden brown.
- Peel the avocado and take out the stone/pit (see cook’s notes). Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a cup or small jug and whisk vigorously with a fork until blended well.
- To assemble the salad, place all ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and mix gently.
- Serve in bowls or plates with the quartered boiled egg placed around the outside.