I think the juicy deep red cherries in this dessert make it look as beautiful as it tastes. I have altered this recipe from my Grandmother’s to use ground almonds rather than flour, as I think it adds more flavour. Cherries are a strong source of antioxidants, another reason to enjoy this satisfying summer pudding. Works really well with ripe apricots too.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Gluten free, Dairy free Option
700g (1 1/2 lbs) fresh cherries, cut in half and stone removed
95g (1/2 cup) caster sugar, or 100ml (1/2 cup) agave syrup
120g (1 cup) ground almonds
3 free-range eggs
60ml (1/4 cup) milk or almond milk (for dairy free option)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
butter or oil for grease the baking dish
Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5 (375°F)
- Butter/grease the inside of a 25cm baking dish. Lay half the pitted cherries on the base of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients together.
- Pour the mixure over the fruit, then lay the rest of the cherries evenly on top, flesh side up.
- Bake the clafoutis in the oven for 40 minutes or until just set and golden brown.
- Let the dish cool and serve.