I have always loved doughnuts, I mean…really loved doughnuts. The one was never kind of enough kind of love! For that reason, I have had to stay away from them. Until now. Hallelujah! I started to experiment with a recipe for baked doughnuts using rice flour, milled flax seeds and then baking them. Virtuous but, I have to admit I was surprised by how amazing they taste! and so easy to make. So, welcome back to my life doughnuts!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Makes: 6 Doughnuts
Gluten Free, Vegan
110g rice flour (3/4 cup) rice flour
2 tablespoons corn flour
75g (1/3 cup) sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (75ml) almond milk or rice milk
2 tablespoon milled flaxseeds, plus 5 tablespoons boiling water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, plus a little for greasing
Six Hole Nonstick Doughnuts Tin
For the Glaze
4 1/2 tablespoons coffee, cooled
1 1/4 cup (175g) icing sugar
freeze dried strawberries to sprinkle on top or experiment with your own ideas.
- Preheat the oven to 190 oc / 735 oF
- Mix the rice flour, corn flour, sugar and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl and put to one side.
- Place the milled flaxseed into a mug and add the boiling water, stir well and leave for five minutes to set.
- Whisk the milk, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil in a separate bowl, adding the flaxseeds once it has set.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients slowly, whisking all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter, if needed you can add a few extra tablespoons of almond milk.
- Grease the donut tin, with melted coconut oil and pipe in the batter (if you don’t have a piping bag, pour batter into a freezer bag and cut the corner off)
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Whilst the doughnuts are baking, make the glaze by preparing a mug of black coffee. Sieve the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and stir in the cooled coffee and mix well.
- When the doughnuts are baked, tip them gently out of the the tinplace onto a cooling wrack.
- When cooled, brush on the glaze. Then sprinkle on the freeze dried strawberries, or sprinkles of your choice. If you do not have any extra sprinkles these doughnuts are delicious just glazed.