This month I wanted to concentrate on bright and colourful recipes, so the beetroot had to be part of this. This soup is so easy to make, it really showcases the earthy, flavoursome, sweet tones of this vegetable. The tip to boiling beetroot is to cook them in their skins with the top left on, then once they have cooked and they are cooled enough to touch, cut away the top and peel away the skin. That way the colour remains inside, otherwise it seeps out into the water. I serve this soup chilled in the summer months so it is more refreshing and then heated up in the winter months for a warm comforting meal. I finish it off with a swirl of crème fraîche and drizzled over with parsley oil.
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Gluten free, Dairy free option, Vegan option
For the Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces about 1 inch thick (approx. 350g/11oz)
4 medium beetroots (beets), roughly chopped after boiling (approx. 700g/1lb 8oz)
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 litre (1 ¾ pints) vegetable stock (preferably made with 2 tablespoons Marigold reduced salt vegetable bouillon)
sea salt and pepper to taste (although you may not need salt depending how salty your vegetable stock is)
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
crème fraîche or plain dairy free yoghurt (for vegan option)
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- To cook the beetroots, keep them in their skins, place them into a medium large sauce pan and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to the boil and cook through, for about 30 minutes. Test with a fork, the beetroot should fall off the fork once cooked through. Drain away the water and allow them to cool slightly. Now peel away the skin and chop into chunks and place to one side.
- Whilst the beetroots are cooking place the chopped potato into a medium saucepan and cover with fresh, cold water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes, or until cooked through, do the fork test again. Drain away the water.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan (I would use the one I boiled the beetroots in) and fry the onions and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped potatoes and beetroot.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the parsley oil; place the fresh parsley and oil in a mini chopper and pulse until smooth and of a runny consistency.
- Blend the soup until smooth and season to taste.
- Serve with the parsley oil drizzled on top and an optional dollop of crème fraîche or dairy free plain yoghurt (for vegan option).