This week I’m posting another of my favourite recipes from Linda McCartney On Tour. What I always loved about my mum’s cooking was the no fuss approach and always completely packed full of flavour. Her style of cooking infused me with a passion for vegetarian cooking that grows everyday. This risotto combines the fragrant flavours of fresh asparagus, herbs and citrus lemon zest. Absolutely delicious!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Gluten Free, Vegan Option
3 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, chopped small
280g arborio or risotto rice
1 litre vegetable stock (4 1/3 cups)
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 5cm/2inch pieces
6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, zest grated and juiced
50g/2oz goats’ cheese or 4 tablespoons soya cream
sea salt and black pepper to taste
flat-leaf parsley or grated Parmesan, to garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the shallots, garlic and celery over a medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well.
- Add 2 ladles of the warmed stock and stir until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Keep adding the stock gradually for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the asparagus, the herbs and lemon zest, and continue to cook gently, stirring for a further 10 minutes.
- At no point should you allow the mixture to become too dry – add more stock as necessary.
- When the rice is cooked, mix in the goat’ cheese or soya cream and lemon juice, season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the parsley or parmesan just before serving.
Tip: You can add the tough ends of asparagus spears to your vegetable stock. This will give the risotto more flavour.