I like to use the almond pulp left over from making the almond milk as an excuse to make these sweet, almond and orange scented cookies.
Makes: 24 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes per batch
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
11 tablespoons ground almond flour or almond pulp (leftover from making almond milk)
200g (scant 1 cup) sugar, preferably an unrefined golden, granulated one.
Zest of 1 orange
Small pinch of sea salt
3 free-range egg whites
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3 /(325°F).
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the ground almonds or almond pulp, salt, sugar, orange zest and olive oil.
- In a separate clean bowl, use an electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the stiff egg whites into the almond mix until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper, brushed with a little extra olive oil to ensure it definitely doesn’t stick.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the mixture onto the baking sheet, allowing a couple of inches (5cm) in between each one, to allow room as they expand when they bake. Continue a teaspoon of mixture at a time until you have used all the mixture, although I usually cook these in two batches.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Ease the cookies off the baking paper and put onto a baking rack to cool.